Hey. How’s it going? It’s 2017 Ross. Just wanted to write you this letter from the past and check in on a few things. While writing this in mid-January, I have some goals in mind for the next 12 months. I’m very interested to find out how many of those goals were realized (even partially). Let’s see how I did.
1. I want to work out more. For about 5 months in 2016, I was working out 2-3 times a week and saw results both physically and psychologically, and I want that back. So…do I have abs? Can I run up a flight of stairs and not want to pass out? I sure hope so.
2. I want to travel more. In 2016, I went on a trip of a lifetime and I had a fantastic time. This year, I want to explore more of my own US of A. I have so many cities on my list and I hope to get to a few this year.
Some places I’d like to visit for the first time:
Austin, TX – BBQ and cowboys? Yes. Hello. Sign me up.
Seattle – I don’t know why, but I am dying to visit.
Portland – 80% because of Portlandia. 20% because I heard it’s actually pretty cool.
And the cities I want to return to:
Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Miami.
Here’s to hoping I did my fair share of traveling within the country this year!
3. I want to spend less time worrying. This may be a hard one to accomplish, but I am going to make an effort here. Last year was rough and I want to become more stable financially and emotionally this upcoming year. A new job and maybe a new apartment could definitely help with those!
4. I want to cook more! I bought a crockpot and I need to use it more than once a month! Please tell me I have been using it! I hope to be a crockpot connoisseur by this time next year. I also want to cook healthy dishes. And I want to make my lunch for work everyday. Or at least 4 out of 5 days a week. Then, I will put the money I am saving from not buying lunch everyday into my travel budget? Or maybe I’ll just use it to pay my rent and bills. We’ll see how that goes…
5. I want to read more! My list of books I read last year was terribly small and I want to burn through my To Read list much faster! I am going to attempt to do that, but I am sadly a very slow reader. Follow along and see how I do.
6. I want to have more fun. No wasted days. I want to enjoy as much of my year as I can. Barring sicknesses, tropical storms and/or giant lizards attacking the planet, I want to make good use of each and every day this year. I want to spend more time with friends. I want to spend more time laughing. I want to spend more time doing things that make me feel good. Did I?
7. I want to use my voice. The political situation in this country is a mess. No doubting that fact, no matter what side you are on. This year, I plan to speak up, and often. I am not letting anything slide past me. I will call you out on your racist jokes. I will call you out on your backwards thinking. I will call you out on your misguided political views. I will not apologize for wanting to move this country and this world forward.
8. I want to put myself first. This year is going to be for me. Not for anyone else. Sorry. I need to take care of myself. I’m not sure exactly what that looks like just yet, but will definitely involve best friends, good food, fresh air, indulging when needed and more than likely some wine. #YearOfRoss
So, with all those goals laid out, now comes the hard part: working at them. I will do my absolute best. And I will hope that in 360ish days, I can look back and feel proud of my 2017! Wish me luck!
XOXO 2017 Ross